Sunday, October 2, 2011

Vintage Floral Nails

I'm on day 14 of The Challenge, which is floral print. I've always thought the vintage flower print that has become popular is so cute, and that is what I tried today! I based my nails on this YouTube tutorial.



For the base color, I used OPI's Fiercely Fiona. As we all know, this is from the Shrek collection. This is a yellow that leans more to the green side. Maybe it would be more apparent compared to a true yellow, but on me, this just looks like a normal yellow. Which is sorta disappointing, because it looks so unique when the green is more visible. As you can imagine, application was a pain in the ass. There was no way I was gonna get away with anything less than three coats for this pastel yellow.


These are the three polishes I used for the flowers: Zoya Shawn, Revlon Peachy, and Omega Labs Nail Art Striper Brush #175 (sent to my by Nail de Royale).





It took me a couple nails to get the hang of the striper brush, but I think they turned out pretty decent for my first try. It's hard to not dissect the different parts of creating this look so up close - ah, the drawbacks of having a nail blog - so squint and back away from your monitors, people! Don't they look like cute little roses now? They reminded me of this dress I own:

Nothin' quite like a dorky PhotoBooth image to really get the point across.
I do want to mention that I used my Point & Shoot for this, not my usual DSLR (I forgot to charge the batteries after I used it last). I like the macro setting on the P&S, but the quality is clearly inferior. Plus, it kinda distorts the shape of my fingers and makes them look... well, like someone else's fingers. And it made Peachy look more orange than it is. I'll be back to the DSLR next post, promise.

While painting these vintage-y nails last night, I watched The Notebook for the first time. How embarrassing. I have been avoiding it all these years. My sister really loves it, and if she loves it, there's a 98% chance I'm gonna hate it. I mean, I love my sister, but we have very different tastes. She reads Nicholas Sparks (hence her love for the movie) and Jodi Picoult, and I read Kurt Vonnegut and Sylvia Plath. I remember talking to her once about Kurt Cobain, and she was all, WHO?! And I'm like, you know, dude from Nirvana, married Courtney, killed himself? She stares at my blankly. I mean, this girl doesn't even know who Nirvana is! How has she gone this long and never heard "Smells Like Teen Spirit"!?!?!? I'm digressing. The point is, throughout the movie I was doing two things. One, I frequently shouted, "THIS IS SO UNREALISTIC!" And the second thing I did was cry. A lot. Like, not just some tears rolling down the face, like full on ugly cry sobbing. I gave myself a headache. I can't believe it sucked me in like that! I mean, I still think it was pretty stupid, but I cried throughout like half of the movie. Ugh! In my defense, I only watched it because I will watch Ryan Gosling do anything. A five hour movie of him making macaroni and cheese in slow motion? Count me in! Have you guys seen The Notebook? What's your take? Did you cry as much as I did?

4 comments:

  1. Your nails are so cute! What a great design.

    The Notebook was filmed where I'm from (Charleston, SC). I watched it once and..yeah, couldn't do that again. Just no. But I'd totally watch RG make mac and cheese in slow motion too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this, great colour choice and the floral print is divine, well done.
    Ah yes the Notebook, I cried like a loon the first time I saw it, I think more because so many people are getting dementia nowadays, it is heartbreaking when people can't remember their family because of the condition. I also quite like Rachel McAdams, she was really good in the time travelers wife too (another weepy movie!) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the yellow one!

    ReplyDelete